Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Binkie Fairy

A friend of mine posted a blog about her daughter giving up her binkie to the Binkie Fairy, in return for a wonderful prize. In her case it was a Sleeping Beauty dress-up dress. Well, it worked flawlessly for her, so I thought I'd give it a try. Gavin is almost three and we just moved him to his big boy bed. So I thought I'd try this Binkie Fairy thing so we could get past another right of passage. He usually only has his binkie at nap and nightime, but still, he's almost 3! So we prepped him for a couple days, asking him what he wanted the Fairy to bring him in return for his binkie. He said he wanted a race car, easy enough!

So last night we said it was the big day, he put his binkie in the step stool the kids use to reach their clothes in the closet, that's his secret hiding spot I guess. We told him to look for a present in the morning. We thought he would cry, or at least not stay in bed, since now he can get out of his big boy bed, and come and get us to try and get his binkie back. To our surprise, he did none of the above, and went right to sleep! This could be attributed to the late hour, past ten o'clock, which is very late for him. We had a family thing that kept us up late. But we were so excited that it went off without a hitch. As usual, these things are much harder on the parents than the kids! We should have done it a long time ago, but it's kinda cute to see him sucking on that thing.

He awoke early, earlier than usual, I was hoping for a sleep in since they went to bed so late, but no such luck. We heard the pattering of feet, and a cry of glee when he found his new Speed Racer Race Car, as race car as you can get. Both he and Maci were shocked that they had not heard the Binkie Fairy sneek into their room, but she is magic you know. So he's been pushing it around all day and loving it, definitely a good trade for the worn out binkie. I awaited nap time in anxious anticipation, he asked for the binkie but I said the Fairy took all of them and we didn't have any, and that seemed to suffice for him. He hasn't come out of the room yet, maybe we're home free! So to all those out there still reluctant to take that binkie away, try the Binkie Fairy, worked like a charm for us!Now we have to tackle Potty Training, any of you genius moms got any bright ideas on this one?? He's completely uninterested. Arggghh.

Quote of the Day:
Maci referring to Gavin's new car,
"Wow, that's a BIG race car, I thought she's bring a medium sized race car"
We aim to please :)

4 comments:

Fryer Family said...

I'm glad it worked.. My friend did kinda the same thing too.. My thing I'm working on is getting rid of the bottle at bedtime and naps.. Ugh.. I'm going to really work on it this weekend.. Livy is 15 months already and I need to get the bottle out...

Jenny Fryer

Alison Ward said...

Good luck with that Jenny! That was a hard one for Maci, we switched it for sippie cups, but who knows if that's any better, probably not. She finally stopped bringing one of those to bed only about a year ago, so she was like 4?! So just do what works for you :) Do you have a blog? I loved all your cute pictures from Hawaii. Stay in touch!
Alison

Jenny said...

Great idea! I will have to remember that one for when I have kids. I see you found out how to get the cute background (I love it), I am glad my instructions got back to you!

-PS After reading your post on the speed racer car, the next morning I opened a new box of cereal and I got my own mini-speed racer as a prize, gotta love Lucky Charms!

gwyn said...

I know I'm late commenting, but I'm so glad it worked! That's exactly what we thought: "uh, that was easy... why did it take us so long?" I'm so happy the Binkie Fairy could bring some joy to your house, too. Hooray for bribing kids! And you weren't doing too bad... Eleanor was almost 3 1/2!