Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Busy Summer Days

Maci's newly found talent, climbing walls and flagpoles!

Man this summer is just flying by! 4 weeks from today we will be packed in our mini van driving to Missouri. UGGGGGGGG! I wish you could here my sigh of discontent. Not only do I have a whole house to pack up, my sister is getting married this week, yeah! and we're going on a 4 day family campout the week the truck comes, yeah! but that means diminished time to get all this stuff done. And the other UGGGGG of discontent is the reality that we are really doing this! moving sooooo far away. I could not sleep last night for the pit in my stomach rolling over knowing 3 people in MO, our realtor, our insurance guy, and the guy taking care of our lawn. I'm excited to go, at times, but other times I'm petrified. So all you moved-out-of-staters, HELP ME! give me some advice on what you did to fill the void of family and friends at first and how you got adjusted. Also any packing advice, we've heard horror stories of couches having burns in them from the friction of stuff being stacked on them. Any advice is welcomed.

So this and last week we've been busy with wedding stuff, and general stuff. Maci is doing a reading tutoring thing at the Lehi literacy center twice a week which has been great for her. She's definitely coming along and hopefully will be ahead and not behind when she starts school in the fall. So we've carted to and from that, had a sleepover at Annie's house for Maci, went to Barnes and Nobel (aka the library) for story time on Fri, and various other fun summer things. Chris even played soccer on Sat. and scored a goal! He's on a local co-ed team, Katie's on it too, they have fun, even with a slightly broken foot ;-)
The kids love watching daddy play.


Goooooaaaaaaaalllll! well not on this shot, but you get the idea.

We had a shower for Katie on Thursday with the ladies in the ward that she knows well. Karol Smedley and Terese Hansen threw it for her. We had a great time, chatting with old friends, eating GREAT food, and learning a little more about Katie and Brett through some questions they asked her. She was not shy to give details! about how they met, first kiss, etc. That's why boys are not allowed at these things. We had a great time.

It's been really fun getting to know some of these ladies on a more adult level while living here in the ward. I thought it would be weird going to church as an "adult" with people that taught me when I was a kid. But it's been great! It's been a treat to learn from them about life, kids, marriage, etc. I'm going to miss them!



No my sisters and I are not triplets :) that's my oldest niece Mikayla in the orange, her mom Jessie in the pink, and Anne's oldest Casey in the red. Anne, Katie and I and my mom you probably know :)

2 comments:

Jenny said...

You look really cute in this picture. Yellow suites you and you are looking so tan! I am glad you had a great weekend. I cant believe you guys are moving in 4 weeks! We will miss Chris at UFCU! It will be fun to see you on the 26th.

Jennie Z said...

Ali- here is a bit of advice on how to fill that void. One of the great things about being a member of our church is that you do make friends wherever you end up. You'll have no problem. When you don't have family around, ward members quickly become your "family". You have to learn to rely on each other. Be outgoing and attend anything social you can. If there is nothing social going on, then plan a playdate or a bbq. Be the initiator. If you actively make an effort, you'll settle in quickly and make friends easily. I don't consider myself an outgoing person, but moving away multiple times has helped me become one. Also, once you get settled, make an effort to serve people ( I know you won't have a problem with that) This is a great way to get to know people.
You will be fine. Holidays are always hard, but get a web cam to make it a bit easier. Remember it's only temporary too.