Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Worm Gender

So it's been raining a lot here lately, and there's lots of worms out. Gavin was spotting them out in the driveway and yelled to me in the house, "Come here quick Mommy!" so I dashed outside. He pointed to a long worm and said he wanted to touch it. It was down in a crack so we couldn't get to it (thank goodness). Then he excitedly said he thought it was a girl worm. I asked him how he could tell it was a girl worm. He said "Because it looks like it has long hair Mommy"! I was relieved that this was his distinction between girls and boys, at least for another few years. I know I should be teaching him about correct body parts and all that, but I love that he's still young and innocent!

This was good timing, because just yesterday I was thinking that I never remember the funny things my kids say, and even questioning if they do indeed say funny things?! So I'm glad they still do and that I remembered to write it down today at least.

I've been struggling with how to "enjoy" my mommy moments, instead of always wishing to have a moment to myself. Everyone tells you the time goes too fast, and to enjoy every moment with your kids. But it seems like us women have a really hard time doing that! We always want what we can't have, now when our kids are young we don't enjoy them enough, and I know once they're old and grown I'll be pining for the good ole days when I was up to my neck in laundry and making school lunch every day. So how do we slow down and just enjoy what we're doing NOW?! I have days where I do enjoy it, and I love my kids to death, don't get me wrong, but there are days when I'm tired of everything a young family involves. I vented to my mom last night after she called and read me a journal entry of the weeks after I was born, and what a connection we had even in those first precious days. It made me bawl, in a good way of course, and just hope that I will look back on the days I'm living now with fond memories and forget all the laundry and the dishes and the school posters to be made. I just need to be sure to make those good memories, and not get lost in all the every day stuff. So thanks for letting me vent here again, I always love it when I hear other moms talking about this kind of stuff, so I know I'm not alone in my guilt! Hopefully I'm not alone here, but even if I am, at least I fessed up to it and wrote it down for Maci to read some day when she's overwhelmed by her 2 kids. Agggh the thought!!

4 comments:

Judy said...

Funny that you mention this tonight. I've been having a really rough mommy day. I couldn't take it anymore and piled my kids in the van and went and rented a movie for them. What a bad mom to just plop them in front of the tv but I couldn't take it. I'm glad that you have those days too! You are an awesome mom!

Sylvia said...

I also agree with the timing of your post. I have been having those same feelings of needing time for my self. I appreciate you expressing your feelings so I don't feel alone in the overwhelming mommy moments.

kellebelle said...

You're so not alone. I'm totally with you. Today was pretty good, but yesterday--eek. It's the perennial mothering struggle--how to enjoy what you have now! One foot in front of the other... remembering that the joy comes in moments, too (tucked in between all the more difficult and frustrating ones).

Katie Groneman said...

Yeah, based on all my years of experience being a mom, I'd definitely have to agree with you.

Hey, Al - I love you, and wish I could be there to help you round up them kiddos (or get them all wound up as I tend to do... sorry 'bout that).