Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Trim the Tree

We put up the tree on Sunday, we had a great time! My mom used to get us little kits of ornaments to make, or come up with a fun craft to make an ornament, and she says she's not crafty. I loved this and looked forward to it every year. Some great ornaments came out of it as well, and no matter how ugly they were, we ALWAYS hung them on the tree, year after year. We'd laugh about the really bad ones every year as we got them out of the ornament box. Who can forget the African American Santa, the lovely shrinky dinks, and the salt dough bells and stars. I loved that tradition, so I started doing it with my kids too. We didn't do anything specific last year but the kids helped me put ribbons on some plain balls to dress them up. This year I asked Maci what she wanted to do and she chose silver balls, a package of foam Christmas shapes, and glitter. As long as it has glitter on it Maci's all over it. So the kids painted, stuck, and glittered their ornaments. And we hung the ALL on the tree, no matter if they were technically pretty or not, and I'm just fine with that. We had a great time, and made scones afterwards. This was my first attempt at scones, and they turned out really good! We've decided to make scones a Christmas Tree decorating tradition. We invited Angelita and her kids over to enjoy the huge batch of scones, I still only made half a batch but that is a TON! and we had a lovely evening chatting while the kids played. The rest of the Christmas stuff hasn't made it out of the bins yet, maybe this weekend. . .

She was more excited about this, I promise. She's already got the teenage blah look going.


2 comments:

Tom and Misti Sherwood said...

You go girl! I always try to get my Christmas stuff up right after Thanksgiving. I'm not feeling it yet. I think I have to many decorations. It seems a little overwhelming.

Jenny said...

Fun! I am loving what you have done with your house (well what I can see from the background).
When are you guys coming out?