Saturday, November 8, 2008

A Few Things I've learned this week

So it's been a LOOONG week, for several reasons, the main one Chris being gone. Here's a few things I've learned this week.

1. I could not be a single mother, don't know how people do it.

2. I could not have a husband that travels for work. Again, don't know how you guys do it?! There's a few benefits, like keeping the house in a somewhat disastrous state, something I try not to do when Chris is home, and not really caring what I look like, what meals taste like, etc. Some say I'd get used to it if I had to do it, I beg to differ. Even though he's at school a lot, I still get to talk to him when he gets home, whenever that is, and snuggle with him on the couch, and just have another person to wage the war with. So I'm so glad I do miss him, and that he does not travel for work, and never will if I can help it!!

3. It DOES get cold in Missouri. And it IS a different kind of cold, just like it's a different kind of hot. The Fall has been so mild here, perfect fall weather, I was almost fooled into thinking the winters wouldn't be too bad, even though we've heard plenty of stories otherwise. But I've lived in UT my whole life! I should be tough enough for a few ice storms. Well, I'm starting to wonder. . . it was FREEZING today, it only got up to 40 and the guy on the weather said with the wind chill it felt like 25, and it's like a bone chilling cold. I think Mom and Dad can relate, kinda like NZ I think. Even though it doesn't snow very much, and definitely doesn't pile up like it does in UT, you get the cold without the beauty of the snow. Anyway, we definitely need to get out our HEAVY coats and gloves, and bundle up for a cold, even if not long, Missouri winter.

4. I HATE that it feels like midnight at 6:00pm. Why does this throw me so much every year? It seems like I get used to it after a couple weeks, hopefully that will be the case again. Rgghgh

5. Maybe it's cause of the election that the week has felt so long. Thank goodness it is finally over, even if I was a little disappointed. The world hasn't ended yet ;) I hope he does well, even if I don't agree with all his theoretical policies. We'll see how many he puts into practice. . .

6. I tend to spend money when Chris is not around. Yet another reason he should get home soon :)

7. You can get some killer costumes at the Disney store the week after Halloween. (Hence what I was spending money on, but I'm really SAVING since they were such good deals) Maci and Gavin better want to be Belle and a Red Power Ranger next year, or else. 10$ for a 40$ costume was sweet!!

8. I need breaks from my kids. As much as I love them, I have not been a very good happy Mom the last couple days. We've tried to fill the time with lots of fun things, but somehow that seems to have made them even crabbier at each other and hence I get crabbier at them. Maybe we all need a good long nap. . . . ah Sundays.

9. I miss quoting movies and TV shows. I did this a lot with my family, especially my sisters, and here I feel like no one will get the joke, so I don't say them out loud. I IMed my sister Katie the other night about my withdrawals. She humored me and typed a few of her favorites, although it wasn't quite the same. Thanks anyway though Kate.

I should be able to come up with 10, to round it off, but I think that's all the rambling for now. Sorry there's no pics, nothing too exciting happening. Maybe I can catch Belle and the Red Ranger around tomorrow.

6 comments:

Tom and Misti Sherwood said...

Some weeks are like that. And then some go way to fast that I panic and don't think I'm spending enough time with my kids. That really stinks that Chris is in Utah! Hopefully he'll be home soon. Christmas will be here before you know it. I want a Belle costume. Did you get it online? I forgot to do that. I'll have to check when I get a chance.

Anonymous said...

Well Ali, I'm sorry to add to your sadness, but I'm keeping him. I'm sorry. He's actually tied up in a closet over here, I'll record Todd's talk for him. Once his flight leaves I'll untie him and he can be free.

Okay, you can have him back. But, Friday morning when I went to pick him up to go get the Cruiser, it was kind of weird. I pulled into the Ward driveway, honked the horn and out he came. Very... nostaligic. And then I've had a few phone calls from 756-6541 as well. Felt kinda old school!

He's leaving soon. Gosh! You can have him this afternoon.

Tyson and Angela said...

I am so glad that you get to experience the midwest cold....no one really gets it until they experience. All though we stay the same core temp as Utah...the wind chill sure does get to you. I finally have someone that can understand my pain! :) I am hoping it warms up soon! Just for a little while anyway!

Jamie said...

Idaho is freezing too! Travs truck broke down on the freeway last year when in was 20 below and I hurried as fast as I could to get him but he seriously thought he was going to die! One pointer, when it is cold like that dont shut your garage door all the way. Ours froze to the ground and I went to open it and it almost bent it in half! Not funny!

Jennie Z said...

Alan has been gone a lot too lately. I could relate to all of what you said! I also tend to spend more money when he is gone. I think it is because the stress goes up and shopping it is a way to de-stress. Unfortunately, I like to de-stress when he returns so then I keep spending money!! We are going to be broke soon!!!!!

WOLF-PACK said...

Dang cute blog, Ward family! Hope Chris made it back safe. My mom is from Missouri. Good luck with the winter =)