Sunday, October 12, 2008

You can all say I Told You So

So I sincerely thought we could keep these fish alive longer than a month, and we did, by a week or so :) Tiger passed away this week. The kids and I were not having a terrific day, and when I saw Tiger looking not so lively at the top of our fishbowl I must admit, I lost it and started crying. Over a fish! ridiculous. It was more for Gavin than the fish. He was pretty upset, and cried for a bit. He didn't quite understand what had happened, especially since Jewel was still alive and swimming. These were some classic kid lines from the experience.

Gavin: "Can't we take him to the hospital mommy?" Gavin after I said the fishy was sick.

Maci: "I guess he'll be in Fishy Heaven with Fishy Jesus" after I reassured Gavin that the fish was in heaven now.

Gavin: "The fishy stopped breathing" is his explanation to everyone we tell about Tiger.

We sent Tiger down the toilet and up to fishy heaven, similar to the scene on the Cosby Show with Lamar. It was a solemn occasion. We have not yet replaced the fish. . . I'm kinda waiting for Jewel to kick the bucket too so we can get two at once :) So you can all say Told Ya So!

5 comments:

Katie Groneman said...

Poor Tiger! But I must say that I haven't laughed so hard about a "the things kids say" as when I read Maci's line. It's going up on my Facebook favorite quotes box. Save me some sugar cookies...

Shelley said...

Ok, so I decided to follow in your footsteps and get the kids a fish. Well, at the pet store Liv ended up with a gerbil somehow and Ethan got the fish. Well, we all thought the fish would die sooner than later. But, no, Friday night the gerbil died somehow. I was like you, I about cried trying to explain it to Liv. She didn't quite understand. Then she said, okay lets go get a new one. So good luck!

Anonymous said...

I flushed my last fish today too. It was the shark and actually died a few days ago I've just been lazy about dumping out the giant fish tank... until Sydney went in my office while I was at church and dumped the entire fish tank chemical bottle in the water, successfully spilling little puddles all over the table and giving my room a terrible smell. Oh, I forgot the fish food crumbs all over the place too. At least she didn't dump it on anything electrical. She always asked to feed the fish... "fishy are hungry" "no they're not, Syd" "oh, okay"...... "fishy are hungry" she'd then repeat while grabbing the food.

Kids!

Tyson and Angela said...

Oh! I am so sorry to hear about your loss! I send my condolences to you and to your sweet little boy! :) I have to admit I chuckled a little bit on your story...I am sorry...but it was just so cute and I love that kids say the darnedest things!

DeSpain Domain said...

I loved reading this one. Maci and Gavin are so cute.