Sunday, October 12, 2008

Fun Fall Traditions

Tonight we did a fun fall tradition, baking sugar cookies and decorating them. The kids helped me make the dough, cut out the shapes, and then frost them. We gave a plate away to a neighbor with one of those "Pass it Around the Neighborhood" poem things that Chris's mom gave to us. Our neighbor caught us, but that's ok. We had a nice chat and passed on the cookies, (only adult frosted ones). We had a great time.



A couple nights ago we decided to have a movie night, and bought the Great Pumpkin off of iTunes. We blew up the air mattress, our kids favorite thing to do to make a night special, and made some popcorn balls. I found this recipe online and it was really good, the goo was just gooey enough but not crunchy. I like the chewy kind. So try them out! We put orange food coloring in too for festive fun.

This made 10 popcorn balls, plenty for our family, you could double for 20.
1/4 c + 2 TB light corn syrup
2 TB margarine or butter
1 tsp cold water
1 1/4 + 1 TB powdered or confectioners sugar
1/2 c marshmallows
10 C plain popped popcorn ( I needed about 3 bags because our microwave stinks and doesn't pop it very well. I'd go with air popped if you've got it!)

In saucepan over medium heat, combine all the ingredients but the popcorn. Heat and stir until the mixture comes to a boil. (I probably let it boil for about a minute just so it would set up a little) Carefully combine the hot mixture with the popcorn, coating each kernel. Shape balls by hand or use a greased measuring cup to press the popcorn in to form a ball, then set on a greased cookie sheet. Wrap with cellophane or plastic wrap and store at room temperature.


What are some of your fun fall traditions? We're always looking for fun ways to fill our time and make new memories!

4 comments:

The Wootton Clan said...

We're making them tonight...thanks for the treat idea. I was so glad to see your comment on our blog...this is a fun way to keep up. Tell Macy Allie says Hi and tell Chris to keep up the good work in school.
Take care,
Robyn

Judy said...

You are such a good mom/wife. I get so tired that I rarely do all the traditions my family grew up with. You are also nice not to give kid decorated cookies to people :) When I was little I didn't understand this. Now I do. I am not so sure I like kids blowing out the candles (gross! spit all over the cake).

Veena said...

What a fun thing to do with your kids!!! Those popcorn balls sound yummy too! It looks like you guys have been up to tons of fun fall stuff out there. You are motivating me to get off my kiester and enjoy this time of year.

Jenny said...

Ooo Fun!! One thing I really liked doing as a kid was getting all the leaves in a huge pile and playing in them with my dad. (not sure if you have big trees to do that though)