Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Surgery Schmergery

I know I'm behind on Halloween stuff, I'll get that posted today as well. Just thought I'd jot a little line about the cyst situation. My surgery was scheduled for yesterday, and went pretty well. I went in at 7am, they said the Dr. was ahead of schedule and they got me ready pretty quickly. Then I sat on a gurney for about an hour, guess his "ahead of schedule" turned the other direction. Then they gave me my happy juice and the rest is a blur, until waking up in another room feeling totally crappy! I had a slight cough going into this, and they wanted me to cough to get my oxygen levels up, You want me to WHAT?! youch, that really hurt. They wheeled me back in with Chris to wake up the rest of the way. I gotta say, I'm a lot more sore than I thought I would be, they made 3 incisions, all pretty small, but my stomach is feeling the pain. I went home about 7 hrs. after I arrived, drugged up nicely and ready for bed. I pretty much slept the rest of the day/night. This morning I'm feeling pretty good, still not moving too much, and my back hurts from being in one position too much. Thank goodness for my wonderful mom who flew out to help with the kids. She's totally babying me and it's delightful. The kids are having a ball with her, making cinnamon rolls this morning. Thanks mom!!

So the prognosis. When I went in for my pre-op a couple days ago, the Dr. assured me that they would try and save the ovary the cyst was attached to. He said generally this isn't a problem and it should be doable. Well, when he came in to speak with me right before the surgery, he said he'd been thinking about my case all weekend. He said because the cyst had grown so fast, egg sized in about 2 months or so, that he was slightly concerned that it was cancerous. He said if he got in there and the tumor was a solid mass, he'd have to cut it up in little pieces to get it out and get it off the ovary. Then if it was cancer, it would spread and I'd have to have chemo to make sure we got all the pieces. SO, he thought it was in my best interest to just have the whole thing removed. Cancer vs one less ovary. . . . seems like an easy choice, even though it was not what I was expecting or hoping. So they took the ovary. He said my left one would compensate and start ovulating every month, which is good, I didn't know it did that?! He checked out lefty and got it working as well as it can, so in a couple weeks we'll start the Clomid treatments and go from there.

Taking the ovary was my greatest fear going into this. Now that it's happened, I just feel that it's all going to work out ok. Chris gave me several priesthood blessings of health and comfort, and I truly do feel comforted by my Heavenly Father that everything will be ok. He knows our righteous desires to have another baby, and when the time is right, even if it's through adoption, I know that it will happen. It may take a while, years even, but I know that it will happen.

Thanks for all your prayers and thoughts, I have the best friends and family around. We'll keep ya posted! and I promise to get the Halloween pics up :-D

11 comments:

Jenny said...

Im glad you are doing well. I am praying for you guys and I hope a baby will come your way soon! :)

Kris said...

I'm glad you feel right about the decision the doctor made and that everything turned out well. How great that your mom is in town to help out and allow you the proper recovery. We will continue to pray for you.

On a side note, we had trouble getting pregnant ourselves and my hubby had to undergo surgery so we could. So, I know what you guys are going through.

You are so strong!! Hang in there!

Bench Family said...

It was fun to see you at TOFW....Glad you are doing ok. Speaking of adoption, have you checked out Heidi's blog lately? Crazy stuff!

kellebelle said...

Take care, Alison! I'm glad your mom is there to take care of you all. Hope your recovery is quick and that it all works for the best!

P.S. I loved your title for this post... it's just right.

Mary said...

Alison, I have been thinking of you a lot this past month or so and didn't realize what was going on. I pray and hope you may recover quickly and things will work out for you. Love you.

Michelle said...

What the heck?! Are you okay?! Man, I hate cysts. We should talk more. I did invitro to get my second baby. Before I was pregnant with him, we did a few years of fertility stuff and I had a grape fruit size cyst...but it didn't need surgery.

I hope you are feeling well. I am praying for you and Chris and for your desires.

Michelle said...

Also, get ready for the hot flashes that come with clomid. ha ha. It is pretty funny to be able to relate to menopausle women. :)

Jamie said...

I hope you feel better quickly and that "lefty" will work extra hard to do its job!

gwyn said...

You're a trooper, Ali! Hang in there, my friend. You are doing great. Enjoy having an excuse to get babied by your mom and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!

DeSpain Domain said...

You have had some eventful days. I am so glad Reesa came out to take care of you and your family. There is nothing like having your own mom around. I hope you continue to recover well and things work out in the long run. I will be thinking and praying for you guys.

Tyson and Angela said...

Oh Alison! You are so amazing!! You have the best attitude! I know it can be hard sometimes to even think about, but as long as you remember that Heavenly Father truly is watching over us and knows what is best, it will all work out!! You are an awesome mom and any child would be blessed to be in your home, whether biologically or by adoption!! I am so glad that you don't have to deal with cancer and that it could just be removed! Thank goodness Heavenly Father made us with 2 ovaries and not 1 for purpose like this! :) Love ya!