Thursday, April 9, 2009

Nostalgia

I'm a little homesick today for some reason. Maybe it's preparing for Easter for my kids, remembering baskets at my house filled with fabric instead of easter grass. My mom would always put in new tights, our favorite shampoo, a new hair clip, some bubbles or a little toy, and a Cadburry Egg, along with other candy. After spending a measly 8-9$ each on my kids baskets, I realized how much thought and effort she put into ours, remembering what our favorite things were. It's so funny how you look back on your childhood and remember little things that seem big now, and think "Am I making those memories for my kids?" I hope so, and I'm so glad my parents made those moments for me, even if they weren't trying to.

I'm also missing the yearly Easter Egg Hunt with all the bro's and sisters, and cousins. Maci's missing it too. But I guess sometimes you have to miss things to really appreciate them!

On another less nostalgic note, we had our first real tornado siren warning tonight. We've had warnings other storms but the sirens haven't gone off. Well tonight there were several sighted tornadoes in our area, one even in Nixa?! It rained and hailed quite a bit and lots of thunder and lightening. Our power didn't go out, and I doubt we were ever super close to one, but it was definitely an adrenaline rush! and a glimpse of what I'm sure we'll be in for for the next couple of years in the spring. We don't have a basement, so we've heard we're supposed to get in our bathtub and put a mattress over top of us. We didn't employ that tonight, but will try it out if we get wind one is headed our way again! What an adventure!
No I did not take this picture, I got it off the internet :-) this COULD have happened though!

2 comments:

Jamie said...

The first year away from my family was very hard. I just had to keep reminding myself that I'm creating new memories for my own little family. My bro's family in TX gets hurricane warnings all the time and they are so used to having to jump in the tub with a mattress over them that my SIL said it's a fun game now. CRAZY!

Michelle said...

Hope you had a fun Easter out there and stay safe!