Monday, February 8, 2010

Craft Blogs a GaGa

So I've come across a few craft blogs of late, and I think I'm officially addicted. Although reading these blogs may induce a feeling of inadeqaucy when in comes to how crafty you are and all the great ideas you thought you had, they still give you a ton of fun new things to try out and make your home look cute, so you take the good with the bad I guess! My favorite one for learning how to refinish furniture, which I'm dying to try, is www.allthingsthrifty.com I really love the way they use glaze and make the pieces look old and antiqued. I think I'll tackle our beat up coffee table, whenever I find a spare weekend, which could easily be never, so we'll see. But I've tried their techniques on some candlesticks I got at Goodwill, and they turned out really cool, so I'm excited to try a bigger piece.

I also found this great tutorial, although I think the one I looked at originally was not this site, this is the same idea and she gives a good tutorial, so check it out! Tutorial HERE.
I did mine turqoise, a color I'm thinking of adding to our living room decor due to influence from the All Things Thrifty girls, she has orange and turquoise together, so it must be ok, right? I'm still undecided on it, but it really does lighten up the space. This is actually hanging in my hall, so it's kind of removed from the orange room, but I need to tie it in somewhere or it just looks like a turquoise frame that is totally out of place. Anyway, it was really easy to make and took me maybe an hour total? with drying times in between, etc. So if you have an old frame lying around, try this one out! I got all my little frames at the 1$ store, clips at Walmart.

I also tried out this adorable Heart Burlap wreath, because I had leftover burlap from the frame and I wanted a cute wreath for Valentines Day. I found this PERFECT tutorial over at Diary of a Craftaholic. Click HERE for the tutorial. This was a really fun and easy project, Maci helped me out with it during the Super Bowl and it was done in 20 min. or so. I wish I'd used heavier wire, so if you can use the big fat wire from Home Depot or something like that, I would definitely do that, it would help your heart shape to be more defined.

Hope you get lost in the world of craft and DIY blogs, there's so much great info out there and fun projects to do. Enjoy!!

1 comments:

gwyn said...

Really like the frame! And I totally validate orange and tourquoise. You are inspiring me to do something about the big blank wall in my dining room...