Saturday, May 2, 2009

PTA Conference

I was asked to be on the PTA committee, more out of no one else signing up than anything else I'm pretty sure, but I said yes (I have a hard time saying no to things, I need Chris to help me work through my issues.) So I'm the VP over Fundraising and Reflections. I have no idea what I'm doing, and no one else on our board has ever done PTA before either, so it should be a fun learning experience for all of us! We went to a conference in Independence this weekend. 3 of them drove up together, but I was scared to go with 3 people I didn't know, so I roped Chris and the kids in to going with me. We left yesterday afternoon, arrived just in time for the kids to go swimming and for me to go to a "rally" where we chanted PTA over and over for 2 hours. Well, not quite, but something like that. I did win a t-shirt in a raffle :)
I went to workshops this morning for about 5 hours, and tried to soak in as much as we could. Chris and the kids went to a great park our friends told us about. They got to ride horses, feed baby goats, and trapse around the park having a great time. I wish I could have joined them, or at least snatched a picture but we forgot the camera on this trip.
They picked me up this afternoon and headed for the Independence Visitor's Center. We hadn't been since Heritage Tours after our Senior Year in HS, and it's been remodeled recently. It was a fun visit and we all learned a little more about the period of time the saints spent in MO. I love the spirit you can feel in all the LDS visitor's centers. There's nothing else like it! We had to get some KC BBQ while we were there, so we went to Arthur Bryan's, one of the best BBQ places around. It was really good, but I kind of felt like I was at Cafe Rio and not knowing the lingo and how to order stuff. Then we headed home.
It was a fun little trip. I was amazed at how many volunteers on the state level there are in PTA. These ladies spend countless hours, probably close to a full time job, helping in every aspect of the PTA for no pay. They simply want to make a difference in MO kids' lives. It was pretty inspiring actually. I really hope to get a Reflections program going in our school, they didn't do it this year and I'm not sure if they've ever done it. We don't have a strong PTA right now at all, so we're hoping to get it going this year and make it fun for all involved. So if you're not a member of your school's PTA, JOIN!! there's people behind the scenes working hard for your kids. (stepped off soapbox now)

3 weeks and counting till we convoy out to UT!!!!

5 comments:

Christopher said...

MMMM KC BBQ :) I have no idea what reflections is or what its about, but knowing your arts and crafts skills, i'm sure your going to do awesome.

Joel said...

Hey, I forgot to mention this to you last night, but thermometer man, the guy that sucks at paying me? He's building up a fundraising side of his product, and a pretty big company from Canada has invested into his idea so he's got some backing behind him finally, but anyways, he's got a pretty solid idea for fundraising. Yeah yeah, it's a whole 'green' thing by why not?

http://www.refrigeratorsaver.com/fundraising/

Being the Fundraising person, you'd have some good say on this eh? Let me know if you wanna try it out, it's a pretty simple thing to sell, and you don't have to trust the kids with money or delivering anything.

Angie Prusse said...

You go girl! Good job in getting involved in your community! I have never thought about that, but I think it is a great idea if you are a parent! Maybe I will join in the future!

Hey! I am going to Utah in 4 weeks!! What a qawinkadink! :) How long are you going to be there?

One of these days we will go to KC for some BBQ that we heard is so good!

TheTerry's said...

That's so great you're so involved! I would love to be involved once Isaac hits public school. Super funny about the chanting though! Hey, give us a call when you're in town so we can all hang out!

TheTerry's said...

hey, just a quick note...isaac is having tubes put in his ears on May 28th. is there any other day where you guys are available to hang out while you're in town?