Wednesday, January 14, 2009

My Little Man!

So there was one more important development during Christmas Break, Gavy got somewhat potty trained!! Thanks to Grandma Sharon for some needed motivation and a small potty seat so he wouldn't fall in! He's pretty much done with diapers during the day, and even most nights wakes up dry, which I'm so relieved about, as I've heard that a lot of boys have trouble with not waking up and having accidents. Gavin must have a bladder of steel, he can hold it all day! or maybe he's not drinking enough? but he can go in the morning, and then not go again until like 4 pm? crazy. I'll ask him all day, do you need to go? and he says, no Mommy, I'm holding it! and he calls it "I did my water Mommy!" he's so proud of himself. Poops are another story, seems like all kids have trouble pooping on the potty! But I don't want him to start holding them in, we did that with Maci and it was a horrible painful three months till we could convince her it wasn't so scary after all. Anyway, we're working on #2, so to speak, and hopefully in a month or so be diaper free!!

I'm also struggling with naptime with Gavin. He'll still take naps pretty willingly, but ever since we got home from our trip, if he takes a nap, he's up till like 10pm. We'll put him to bed at 8, and he'll mess around, talk, sing, play, whatever until he finally falls asleep. This keeps Maci up though, and gets us frustrated with his constant coming out of bed to say he's not tired and can't sleep. So do I give up my 2 hrs of quiet during the day for an easier bedtime??!?!?!? I really can't decide. Have any of you tackled this problem? if I only let him sleep an hour will he go to bed better? Most days he gets really grumpy by the end of the night if he doesn't have a nap, which is why I've still been giving him one, but maybe he just needs to go to bed at like 7? I don't think that will happen either. I'm at a loss, but don't want to give up my hour of quiet!! Any advice from you seasoned moms out there?

I haven't gotten a pic of Gavin on the potty, but this bath one was cute I took the other day. The kids each got bath soaps and toys for Christmas, and Gavin's came with shaving cream soap. I walked out of the bathroom for a minute, and came back to both of them with huge handfulls of cream. I told them to put it to good use and at least let me take a picture of them! Cute kids.

4 comments:

Mary said...

Ali
Brandon sometimes doesn't take a nap and when he doesn't yes sometimes he is a stinker, but he will go to bed at 7:30. So depending on how I feel and him we do or dont do naps, but most of all we do. I feel children that are busy and even if their not as busy as another they need their rest time each day. Good luck!

Christy said...

I completely understand what you're going through. My boys are doing the same thing. I've decided that even if they don't take a nap they still have to have at least an hour of quiet time each day. That way I can still have my sanity break. Sometimes they will fall asleep and if they do I will wake them up after they've slept for an hour. If I let them sleep any longer than that, I have the same problem with them not being willing to go to bed at 8. Don't know if it helps, but that's what's working right now for me.

sharonward6541@gmail.com said...

Gavin,
I am so proud of you for going on the potty. You are such a big boy now. Love you tons!!!!!

Grandma

Diahan said...

Cute tub pictures- very modest.

As for bed time, you know me- put them to bed early. We have the same problem with Henry so I have given up napping.
He will go to bed as early as 6:30, even 6 on a really bad day. I believe in a "magic" bedtime. That point when they are not overtired but sleepy.
Seriously, it can work. You just have to be firm. Jack can no longer successfully fall asleep before 7:30- but we just tell Henry that Jack will be in in a couple minutes.
But, Henry is a very good sleeper.
We figure it will work until they know how to tell time.
Best of luck. So sad to lose nap time.